Thursday, March 1, 2007

Fincher gives details!

Empire Magazine spoke with Fincher in January:

"What I am desperately trying to do is put this movie together that has been around for about 75 years at Paramount called The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It's based on an F.Scott Fitzgerald short story that's been adapted by Eric Roth. It's a little 200-page script; a sprawling romance between a woman of 30 and a man who, at 50, begins ageing backwards.

It's dark, it's romantic, and it also deals with mortality in a pretty unflattering way. The guy is born in 1919 - with the film itself beginning in the Civil war, travelling around the world and carrying on all the way through to the year 2000. And we'd have to have the lead actor be recognisable from the ages of 18 to 85 years old" says Fincher.

Wow, 75 years. Is that the longest a film's been in development hell? Spike Jonze was attached to make this back in 2000, but I'm glad he's not. I think he would've played up the oddness whereas I think Fincher will focus more on the humanity. I don't know why I'm surprised but this sounds like it's going to be a pretty dark film. Darker than I imagined. I wonder if there'll be Civil War fight scenes, and what Fincher's take on the year 2000 will be. Can't wait.

No comments: